[K12OSN] importing and exporting student lists

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Tue Mar 2 23:47:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 16:44, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Awesome, I will be getting there this summer.  However I will of course
> need to use existing passwords as not to confuse the general population.
> Would it be safe to assume that I could pull your generated users.txt
> into an existing database as a delimited file to match up with existing
> users and passwords?

 Not unless you want to enter it all by hand..  The problem is, that the
passwords are already encrypted, so you cannot reuse them.

 As far as the system is concerned, once you have encrypted the password
then the plain-text version of it is lost forever.  I would not be one
to hack /etc/shadow directly, ooo no.. not me..

/steve