[K12OSN] Just got approval

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 3 09:33:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 07:59, David Trask wrote:
> k12osn at redhat.com writes:
> >SATA appears to be much better that PATA, but as far as I can tell fast
> >SCSI drives are still the best deal for mid-to-large terminal servers.
>
> Not only that I've seen some results that support that SCSI drives simply
> are built to last longer.  Generally speaking SCSI drives are built for
> server environments....hence they're meant to sit and spin a high speeds
> day in and day out.  No denying that they're also considerably more
> expensive, but sometimes ya' gotta' weigh the "what ifs"

That was probably the case a few years ago, but now I think
nearly all manufacturers take exactly the same mechanical
parts and slap on a different logic board.  There is still
the bottleneck with head position and since IDE is cheaper
you'll probably buy bigger drives that make this even worse.

Anyway, for most multiuser purposes you should max out
the RAM before considering spending more on the disk
controller and drives.  A database that fsync()s transactions
all the time would be an exception because extra buffers
won't help with that.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com