[K12OSN] thoughts on web browsing....

Scott Sherrill scott at hancock.k12.mi.us
Wed Mar 3 15:28:04 UTC 2004

>On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 05:10, Scott Sherrill wrote:
>
>>  Once in awhile, students will share their accounts with their
>>  friends.  If for example Johnny loses his privileges he will borrow
>>  Sally's account and surf as her.
>

>I would make it clear that intentionally  subverting any access
>mechanism would result in *instant* and *permanent* account termination
>for *all* concerned - and *then* see if Sally would so keenly offer her
>account for illicit purposes (illicit because there is probably good
>reason that Johnnys' account was revoked.)
>
>Kids need to be aware that ;
>
>1.)  they are monitored
>2.)  abusers get their account zapped
>3.)  abusers will get *your* account irretrievably zapped if you loan it
>4.)  access is a privilege

I agree with you 100% Steve, but the only way they are currently
getting caught is if I am actively looking.  That's why I'd like to
give classroom teachers more tools to look for that abuse.

I did some further looking and it doesn't look like the banner idea
is going to float.  There are very few references out there for that
solution using Squid and an auto-added banner.

Scott