[K12OSN] Samba Migration

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 3 16:49:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 14:56, Caleb Wagnon wrote:

> I've never done a samba to samba migration. Any tips on migrating the home
> directories? Is there anything else I need to transfer other than /etc/samba
> and var/lib/samba? (I don't have a /var/cache/samba) and the unix users and
> groups of course. I've had a million things running at once and I want some
> fresh minds to look at this =)

If you are starting with a new machine and not moving to NIS/LDAP
or some central authentication method you can edit the /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow files directly, copying all of the normal user
entries (about uid 500) over and adding them to the system entries
that will already be there.  That will keep their old passwords
and uid/gid settings intact. Then if you want to take all the
home directories over, as root on the old box:
cd /home
rsync -essh -av . newbox:/home
 (be sure there isn't anything already in the new /home that you
will overwrite).

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com