[K12OSN] Streaming DVD using VLS/VLC

Daniel Loomis dloomis at cox-internet.com
Wed Mar 3 22:06:01 UTC 2004

RE: Using vls/vlc to stream video over the lan

One advantage of vlc is that it can capture the video/audio stream from
a playing dvd and write it to a single mpeg file.  You loose chapters
and other advantages of the regular dvd format, but they are easy to
stream using vls or vlc in server mode. For short instructional videos
it could be a real advantage, for all files could be stored on a server
and served up on-demand using vls.

I have streamed video from one pc to another over the lan, but have not
tried it yet on our LTSP system.  Will have to try that and report back.
Having never setup local aps, I will have read up on setting up vlc as a
local ap on the terminals.  I do not expect to run fullscreen video on a
300mHz ThinkNIC.

Dan Loomis