[K12OSN] Making LTSP work with old Compaqs

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Fri Mar 5 08:06:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004, Max Anikstein wrote:

> We just received approximately 30 Compaq Deskpro 590 computers. After some
> messing with the boot disk, I got them to boot off the network but it can?t
> configure the X Server. Based on some Googling it appears that the computers
> have QVISION 1280/P Graphics chips. Is there anyway to get these machines to
> work? Is there another X Server we can use? Do we need to purchase new video
> cards?

I seem to remember dealing with these before.

I think they are Matrox chipsets ?
There is a commercial Xserver whose name I have forgotten that supports
Matrox - but you pay quite a lot for it, and it might not work with LTSP.

The VESA driver might work, but I would not bet on it.

Save yourself some time, get other video cards.

The other problem is that it is very hard to find PCI video cards these
days - I do not think you can buy them new any more.

Cheers,    Andy!