[K12OSN] nfs

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Fri Mar 5 08:13:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004, Reba Howard wrote:

> I need some help. I am having trouble with in of my terminals. It keeps
> saying nfs server "myserver" not responding still trying. It is the only
> one of the network doing this, I have put it on different subnets and
> different server and it still gives me the error. I have also replaced the
> network card and given it a different ip. Does anyone know why it is doing
> this and how to fix it?
> Reba Howard

Have you tried a different cable ?

Sometimes I find the network gets so busy that the clients have difficulty
accessing the NFS server.

First advice - get a decent ethernet card for the NFS server, an EEPro
rather than an RTL8139. (Server, not client).

If sufficient clients lose the NFS server, things go from bad to worse very
quickly, as all the clients start 'screaming', clogging the network more.

If the NFS server is rebooted, for instance, all the clients scream, and
when the server tries to bring up the network card, it is bombarded, and
goes into slow motion. In this case, you have to take the clients down too.

Cheers,  Andy!