[K12OSN] NAS Backup

Barry Solof barry at yellowdog.com
Fri Mar 5 10:07:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

We've played with the standard rsync and Netware quite a bit.  The
bottom line is that you can sync files from Netware to Linux but all you
get is the files.  You lose Netware ownerships and permissions.

If your goal is to move some files and directories, this is fine.  But
if you want to use these files as a substitute Netware backup it leaves
a lot to be desired.  After a server crash you'd be able to restore the
files but would have to recreate each directory and file ownership by hand.

Also, the latest version of Netware come with an rsync nlm.  This
version of rsync will maintain permissions during a Netware to Netware
copy.  We use it each night to sync two Netware servers and it works
nicely.  But I don't know if it can keep Netware permissions if you sync
the files to linux.

Barry