[K12OSN] K12LTSP on dual opterons?

Spencer, John johns at model.com
Fri Mar 5 16:56:01 UTC 2004

I have opteron (x86_64) systems with 2x CPUs running the RHWS3.0 SMP kernel.  I had initial stability issues that were solved by applying the latest x86_64 errata, below is the output of 'cat /proc/version':

cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.21-4.0.1.ELsmp (bhcompile at thor.perf.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-20)) #1 SMP Thu Oct 23 01:18:32 EDT 2003

All my opteron's are using the 246 chipset and have excellent performance, 32-bit performance is comparable, and sometimes better than, the latest Xeon chipset.  And 64-bit performance has been been better than the latest Itanium2 systems that I have for everything except floating point intensive processes.  I have at least 1 system maxed out with 16GB of RAM that performs extremely well, no obvious latency due to the large memory configuration.

Below is a link reporting on a fairly controlled benchmark comparison of opteron vs. xeon for 32-bit performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1982

John