[K12OSN] NAS Backup

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Fri Mar 5 23:29:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 20:47, Kevin Christensen wrote:
> I am going to have to look into rsync some more. We are not to concerned
> with the permissions because we back those up separately. Any good links
> to site with some really good documentation that hasn't been already
> posted?

man rsync was comprehensive enough.
port 873 has to be kept open in firewall if coming from outside to sync.
I use the following:
# time -rsync -avzP -e ssh --exclude-from=excluded
[IPofsource]:/home/[departmentdirectory] /home

This allows me to backup all files except those which pattern match
lines in file "excluded" It also times the transfer for admin record. If
you have generated keys then you can run this as cron job without
password being asked.
HTH
--
Sudev Barar