[K12OSN] HD noise -scsi vs sata

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Sun Mar 7 03:40:01 UTC 2004

I am going to build a server with 2 hard drives. I thought about getting two
seagate 7200rpm sata drives and RAID 0 them with a 3ware RAID controller. But
then I read this site

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q2/10k-comparo/index.x?pg=12

 and discovered that a single 10k rpm SCSI drive is VERY fast for 30 users
accessing at the same time. So I am contemplating getting two 10k rpm U320
scsi drives and set one as / and the other for /home.

Side question: What is better? 2 drives with RAID 0 or seperate drives for
home and root ?

Does anyone have two 10k scsi drives in their classroom server. My classroom
is small and I already have to deal with the noise of 30 fans. Could I teach
in this noise???

BTW if you keep clicking on next at the website above you will get  a lot more
data including noise graphs.

Robert