[K12OSN] Home DNS server

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sun Mar 7 22:59:05 UTC 2004

I have a small home network with a total of 6 computers. They are:

   NAME     IP ADDRESS        DISCRIPTION
  win98    -- 192.168.0.1   A Windows 98SE, Wife's desktop computer
  ariel    -- 192.168.0.2   A Windows 98SE, Daughters desktop computer
  linuxbox -- 192.168.0.3   A Debian Woody, My desktop computer
  thinkpad -- 192.168.0.4   My laptop (Thinkpad 380D), Morphix installed
on HD / LTSP client  kingpin  -- 192.168.0.10  My file server, Internal
web server, mp3 holder, etc. (headless)  ipcop    -- 192.168.0.100 My
Firewall/Router (headless)

They are all connected via a Netgear wireless router.  Only thinkpad and
ariel use the wireless, the rest are hardwired.

linuxbox is the DHCP server for the network, and ipcop is my gateway.
When ever ipcop recieves a DNS request, in dials my ISP (dial-up) and
connects to the internet.  I know that ipcop also has a DHCP server, but
I turned it off so that I can use my thinkpad as a LTSP client when I
want to work on my desktop without sitting at my desk.

Right now if I want to connect to another machine on my network, I must
use the IP address, or else ipcop receives a DNS request and dials up my
ISP.  As you can image this is really annoying, exspecially if my wife
is using the phone when ipcop starts dialing :-(  I want it so that
linuxbox handles the DNS request first, then only if it does not know
what to do, then sent it on to ipcop.  (i.e.  Typing http://kingpin does
not result in ipcop dialing out and typing http://www.google.com does.)

Right now, no matter which computer I am at, a DNS request is sent to
ipcop.  Here are some of the important parts of dhcpd.conf and hosts
files from linuxbox:

************ dhcpd.conf **********************
allow booting;
allow bootp;
  subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        use-host-decl-names             on;
        option routers                  192.168.0.100;
        option domain-name-servers      192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.100;
        option subnet-mask              255.255.255.0;
        option broadcast-address        192.168.0.255;
        default-lease-time              3600;
        max-lease-time                  7200;
        range 192.168.0.51 192.168.0.99;

************ hosts **********************
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.0.1     win98
192.168.0.2     ariel
192.168.0.3     linuxbox
192.168.0.4     thinkpad
192.168.0.10    kingpin
192.168.0.50    router
192.168.0.100   ipcop

So what do I need to do to make sure that linuxbox handles the DNS
first, and if it is a local name, keep it local, otherwise sent it on to
ipcop?  Do I need to run another serves on linuxbox, or is it just a
matter of some config files?