[K12OSN] Re: digicam import application? (gtkam doesn't detect Nikon Coolpix 4300)

Jimmy Schwankl schwankl at chatham.k12.nc.us
Mon Mar 8 12:12:00 UTC 2004

Tony Baldwin wrote:

> Hey,
>
> What do any of you guys use to import photos from a digicamera?
> I just got one, a Nikon Coolpix 4300.
> gtkam didn't detect it, and lists only up to the coolpix 880 (which is
> very similar to this, but only 3.2 mp, whereas this is 4.o mp)
> iPhoto on my iBook got it right away, but I'd like to be able to
> import them here (to my k12 box).

Dear Tony,

Someone already suggested mounting the camera as a disk and getting the
pictures off that way.  That should work, but they didn't say how to do
it, and in case you haven't already searched it out through Google, I
may be able to help.

Here are a couple of very simple scripts I wrote that you can modify to
fit your setup, then make executable and create launchers for.  (I keep
them in /usr/local/bin)

The parts that you'll need to change are the references to your home
directory, and username.  The script also assumes there is a directory
in your home directory named 'pictures'.  You may also need to create
the 'camera' directory in /mnt/

Finally, you'll need the change the line that says:

cp /mnt/camera/dcim/100hp320/*.jpg  to be correct for your camera.  For
example, since it's a Nikon Coolpix 4300, it's unlikely that as you
traverse the  /mnt/camera/ directory you would encounter the 100hp320/
directory.  The way you can set this correctly is to first try this
line in a terminal (as root)

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera   if things mount correctly, then
navigate the /mnt/camera/ directory and take note of the further
directories you pass through to get to the directory where all the .jpg
files are.  Then replace /dcim/100hp320/*.jpg with
/directory/matching/your/setup/*.jpg

Good luck,
Jimmy Schwankl