[K12OSN] Samba/LDAP and the near future

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Tue Mar 9 13:04:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 03:17, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

> [....] logins getting same desktop and home are another matter,
> particularly with T1 bandwidth and the additional performance
> degredation of latency site to site for the encryption of VPN.
> [...] Chances are
> this is something quite practical for a very small number of traveling
> people, if they would live with some performance degredation, but not
> practical on a large scale.

 I have spent some time on the task of distributing
filesystems(desktops) and basically I have drawn a blank.  You have one
mean feat ahead of you replicating /home dirs over a T1, unless you only
have 20 or so users.

 You might consider scripting an rysnc to the other site on logout - a
poor mans' distributed Desktop..  As long as the users do not have huge
files coming and going there should be no strife.

 Or you might upgrade to fibre ;-)

/steve