[K12OSN] Help me....backup reassurance needed

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Mar 10 20:13:00 UTC 2004

Caleb Wagnon wrote:

>Can someone tell me the most likely things I need to backup on my ltsp server
>for migration? I know....but still......

The way I do it is to back up the entire /etc, /opt/ltsp/i386 directory
(or /opt/ltsp/ppc, if you're running PMac clients), and /home
directories.  That's always worked pretty well for me...when upgrading
from one version of a certain distro to a newer version of the same
distro, e. g. Red Hat 7.3 to, say, Red Hat 9, or the K12LTSP versions
thereof.

On the other hand, if you're crossing distros (e. g. going from Red Hat
to SuSE or Slackware), you've got to pick your /etc files carefully.
The "for sure" ones I pick in /etc are /etc/ltsp.conf, /etc/ssh/, and
/etc/dhcpd.conf.  Then I just go through /etc and see if there's
anything that'd be a good idea and would cross over easily (/etc/skel,
for example).

--TP