[K12OSN] Tux Math Question for Caleb

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Mar 12 10:16:10 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-admin at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-admin at redhat.com] On Behalf
Of Caleb Wagnon
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 8:22 AM
To: k12osn at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Tux Math Question for Caleb

Jim Kronebusch said:
> I saw in the Tux Paint website post you said that you run Tux Math and

> Tux Paint on 60 Terminals and 30 lab machines.  What type of hardware
> are you using that allows you to play Tux Math in an acceptable
> fashion? My experience is that it runs great on a local machine, but
> my LTSP experience is very..very sluggish.  I think both programs
> would be an awesome fit in our lower grade schools but I just can't
> get the speed where it is useable.  If you could fill in the following

> list it would be extremely helpful:
>
> Server Hardware:
Dual 2 ghz Xeon, 4gb memory, Scsi Harddrive

> Network Hardware:
100mb to the clients (going to gig on the server side soon)

> Terminal Hardware:
Thinknic terminals (not recommended....but not available anymore anyway)
These consist of cyrix 233 processors and 64mb ram.

> Anything else you feel relevant:
Tux Math and paint are not resource hogs. The only thing I can see that
would slow you down would be your network. 100mb to the clients and gig
to a big server should work great. If you don't have as many clients as
me 100 mb all the way should be fine.

> I have a bunch of schools in our area on the verge of switching next
> year to LTSP for labs and teacher machines simply based off of a
> verbal argument, and when it comes time to wow them with actual
> hardware I want to be sure I can do it.
>
> Thanks

No problem.

----------------------

This is what I needed to get a good idea of where to start.  I am going
to order a couple of the systems from disklessworkstations.com to test
with a more powerfull server.  So far I have only tested with a dual
866PIII w/2GB of RAM and a single IDE 7200, I think that is my weak
point.

Thanks

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+ CCNA