[K12OSN] RSYNC Question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Mar 13 04:18:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 05:41, Stephen Liu wrote:

> >These would involve
> > running RAID mirroring over double-ended SCSI, firewire, or something
> > called the 'network device block' to drives that the alternate machine
> > can access directly and some kind of heartbeat that lets the backup
> > machine know when to take over.
>
> - Could you please explain in more detail about the above.
> - What kind of RAID, 5, 0+1, etc.
> - Where can I find the hardware setup of 'hot spare'

The basic approach is to do some kind of raid-1 mirror
between identical partitions that can be accessed by
two machines and use a heartbeat signal to let the
backup machine know when to take over.

Here is an article:
http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-11/availability_01.html

And a projects with a lot more links:
http://linux-ha.org/

Some tools from Oracle - note the firewire and ocfs links:
http://oss.oracle.com/

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com