[K12OSN] OpenOffice.org

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Mar 13 02:27:28 UTC 2004

Exactly.  This is why, the few times I've had the opportunity to demo
K12LTSP, I always start up both an OO.o session and a Mozilla session on
the server itself.  Right after I start that up, I take the folks over
to a thin client and start my short explanation of thin clients (Xterms)
and netbooting.  That short explanation, and the booting of the thin
client, all take less than a minute.  By the time the thin client boots,
and I log in from it, OO.o and Moz have long since finished loading on
the server, and thus are cached!  Sneaky, eh?  ;-)  Thus, OO.o and Moz
start up very quickly on the thin client.  Heh heh...

If you think this is silly, I've spoken in another thread (SCSI vs. IDE)
about my own server.  This semi-sneakiness actually was a significant
factor in getting said server deployed...in a Microsoft shop.

--TP