[K12OSN] RSYNC Question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Mar 13 13:33:39 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 05:47, Stephen Liu wrote:
> - snip -
> >
> > Once all that is in place, then all you would need to do to swap in the
> > server in the event of a failure would be to log in to the spare and run
> >
> > the 'swapserver' script.
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> Could you please advise where can I find example of 'swapserver' script

If you are doing it as a 'warm' spare periodically updated
with rsync, you would switch by shutting down the primary
system if it is still on the network, then changing the
hostname and IP number of the backup machine to be the
same as the primary, then restarting all the network
services (or just reboot).  Note that it can take up
to 20 minutes for a router to recognize an IP address
move to a different hardware NIC due to the arp cache
although other devices will usually see it in seconds.
If you control the router you can speed this up by
giving it a 'clear arp' command.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com