[K12OSN] M$ access from K12LTSP

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Tue Mar 16 13:37:23 UTC 2004

Hi Les,

There is a "special" agreement between schools & M$ that allows them to
convert their app licenses toserver licenses. As to the CALs for the
server, we have found a non-profit source that donates these server
licenses to schools, so that is no longer an issue. What needs to be
addressed are the "mechanics" of the solution. Based on a thin-client
K12LTSP structure what would be the better solution;
1) M$ server with CALs & using rdesktop from each client,
2) M$ server with WinConnect & using rdesktop from each client,
3) VMWare GSX server running on the LTSP, or some other appp server.
Provided that this can be made to work with thin-clients. My attempts
with this have not been successful.

Bottom line if anyone has experience with any of the above or has been
able to get VMWare GSX server working with multiple clients I'd really
appreciated the input and feedback.

 From the reaction we've gotten thus far schools are far more open to
this "alternative" then just a K123ltsp replacement of their labs.

I now throw myself out to the community for comments, critiques or
suggestions.

thanks
norbert