[K12OSN] mini distro for X -query

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Wed Mar 17 06:14:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Jonathan Carter wrote:

> Andy Rabagliati wrote:
> >I have heard that knoppix is making major strides in this direction ?
> >
> >PXE-bootable system that does knoppix-style hardware detection on the
> >client ?
> >
> >Not as thin as a thin client, probably needs more RAM, but has local Apps.
> >
> >Not used it myself, but if anyone can do it, they can.
> >
> >Cheers,   Andy!
>
> I've used it. It's just about the other way round from a LTSP network.
> You need a week server, but with fast drives. More than one client from
> a CD-ROM doesn't work well. And you need strong clients. 32MB RAM simply
> won't work. I'd recommend at least 128MB. In the end, it's just normal
> Linux booted off an NFS share. It does work nice, and you do save money
> for not using hard disks. It's a good solution if you have a bit more
> money or stronger hardware, IMO.

knoppix allows you to do a hard disk install these days, so you are not
limited by a CDROM.

You can also do "knoppix 2" to get to text mode, and then "X -query server"
to make it thinner. ALT-consoles still available, and a full toolset on
the client. Perhaps easier to do things like sound, CDROM, floppy, USB,
all that stuff.

There are scripts that control the boot - by default it mounts that monster
KNOPPIX file as cloop, but you can unpack KNOPPIX and add stuff like
nvidia drivers.

There are discussions on the knoppix forums how to do this.

Disclaimer - still have not done it myself, but am looking over the
shoulder of someone who is trying it out. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,    Andy!