[K12OSN] M$ access from K12LTSP

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 13:11:00 UTC 2004

Norbert,

> Thanks for the "testimonial" :-) .

It did come across that way.

>If I may, to address the floppy issue what we have done is mounted & shared >the Linux home directory in Windows. So when the user saves a file it's >actually in their linux directory and they can then use mtools to save the >file locally on the floppy.
>We've done this for each user mounting the appropriate directory to the Win >login account.

Which is how I also have it implemented (But didn't say so in the testimonial :) However, trying to get the concept across that when you save the file, it is actually being saved in your HOME directory is somewhat foreign to users that think in term of the "My Documents" folder.  I have also mapped the Linux /home/user as a mapped drive, but getting the users to actually change the default location from "My Documents" to use the share is also a foreign concept.  I held a training session to show exactly the process you describe, but ... in the words of one teacher: "It isn't straightforward.  Why should I have to leave the Windows session just to save a file to floppy."  This simple issue makes Linux look "inferior" to MS because it is different and requires (from their viewpoint) an extra step.  Users do not want to have to keep track of what system they are connected to, etc. They just want to take a file and "copy" it somewhere. (It is hard enough to just get the concept !
of logging off across, as opposed to just clicking on the X to kill the window/app/redesktop session/whatever)

OT: The solution I want to implement is a groupware portal solution so they can use a web browser (from home) to access any files.  Then this whole floppy/usb/"where is my data" issue may just go away.  Unfortunately, there a bunch of security concerns that have to be addressed before DOE will let this happen.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School
Newark Delaware