[K12OSN] K12LTSP Mirror (again)

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Mar 19 07:58:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Shawn Powers wrote:

>I see currently on the mesd rsync server, there are separate settings for:
>
>K12LTSP-all   and also
>K12LTSP-apt

K12LTSP-all maps to:

	ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.0.1/

K12LTSP-apt maps to:

	ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/apt/

>Since most of the RPMS exist in both, is it safe to assume there is some sym linking that occurs on the actual server?  I would like to set up similar symlinking on my end, so as to save mucho bandwidth and space.
>
>I would also like to keep the updates, etc for 7.3, 8.0, etc -- which the K12LTSP-apt:: does...

The "hardlink" utility does wonders for disk space:

	hardlink -v ./dir1 ./dir2 ./dir3

will walk through the directories ./dir1, ./dir2, ./dir3 and create
hardlinks for any duplicated files.

>My end goal is to be able to install K12LTSP with a couple floppies, and then run apt-get to update the server once installed, all using my local mirror.  (Actually, for our entire ESD, not just for my installs)
>
>Is this as simple as it seems to me?  Can I just symlink some directories to get my cake and eat it too?

If you want to suck down just a FTP/HTTP/NFS installable image, rsync to
k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us::K12LTSP-all/i386/

"K12LTSP-all" will pull down the ISOs, the install image, etc. By specifying
a subdirectory, you can narrow that down if you wish.

This is how I do all of my installs internally. I boot off floppies or
boot.iso and I do a FTP install.

-Eric