[K12OSN] Local printer and console printing

Shawn Austin austinsr at uindy.edu
Mon Mar 22 10:43:06 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I am trying to get a local printer to print from a console(no X), and I
have reached a bit of a road block.

I have already setup the printer using CUPS, and I have seen a message
on the console of the station that shows cups is monitoring the printer
port on the machine.

I have already printed a test page from CUPS sucessfully.

This is the machine entry from the lts.conf file.
[Reg-term]
        SCREEN_01          = ssh
        SSH_HOST = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (edited out)
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
        USE_NFS_SWAP       = N
        SWAPFILE_SIZE      = 48m
        PRINTER_0_DEVICE   = /dev/lp0
        PRINTER_0_TYPE     = P

What I am trying to do is connect to a VAX box that runs our student
information system and print from something that looks like a curses
based application(not sure is VAX uses curses or not, but it looks
similar).

I was hoping that just the Printscrn button on the keyboard would work,
but it doesn't.  I have also tried every conceviable combination of
shift alt and ctrl with the printscrn button.

I have googled for quit a while now and have come up with nothing
useful.  Hopefully someone will have done this before, and has a
sollution, or at least a point in the right direction.

Thanks,

Shawn Austin

University of Indianapolis
Client Services