[K12OSN] Local printer and console printing

Shawn Austin austinsr at uindy.edu
Mon Mar 22 13:13:09 UTC 2004

Im trying to do a print screen type thing to a local printer attached to
the thin client that is ssh'd to a VMS box.  I don't need to do any
printing through the VMS box, I want that done locally through a local
printer on the thin client.

So far I have found out that you can cat /dev/vcsa1 to output the
contents of virtual terminal 1.

The best solution that I can come up with is to cat the content of
/dev/vcsa1 and dump the content in a directory that the server can
access, and then have cron do a lpr -P localprinter on all the files in
the directory every 30 seconds or so.

Im currently trying to figure out how to bind the Print screen key to a
shell script that will output the contents of that virtual terminal to
the printing directory so cron can do its thing.

Thanks for the reply.

Shawn