[K12OSN] Macintosh G3's as Clients

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Mar 22 19:36:41 UTC 2004

On Monday 22 March 2004 02:28 pm, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I am definitely interested in the Netboot option.

Realize this is netbooting MacOS, not linux.  The server is running linux, but
the client OS is really OS9...  Here are some links.  I would print the pages
out, because sometimes the sites are down.  (I checked, they are currently
up)

http://staff.harrisonburg.k12.va.us/~rlineweaver/macnb/
http://frank.gwc.org.uk/~ali//nb/
http://mike.passwall.com/macnc/

It works extrememly efficiently.  I have an old PowerMac7250 Server (120mhz)
with a 4 gig SCSI drive and 384MB memory as a server, and it boots 20 clients
well.  When all the computers are starting up, it takes about 2 minutes to
get them all running, but that's the big "lag".

In my second netboot lab, I have a PIII 500, with 384MB RAM for a server, and
it's also booting 20 computers just fine.  Both servers use 100Mbit cards.

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director