[K12OSN] K12LTSP Server RAM question

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Wed Mar 24 13:41:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Huck wrote:
> I'm being told that utilizing a 32bit processor, my server will be
> limited to 4 gigs of usable RAM...
> anyone know the validity of this statement and if it IS valid how many
> machines am I looking at being
> able to run even with dual p4 2.8Ghz processors?
>
> I'm almost to crunch time where I spend my $5k or so on a server for
> this solution now that I got those G3's
> working with the little test server...

> client...
> So if 4gigs is the RAM limitation...reserving 256 MB for the server
> itself...
> I'd only be able to connect about 30 clients total simultaneously...and
> this would be at the lower end of
> performance I would think?
>
> Verifiable? Suggestions?

Huck,
	the 4GB limit of directly addressable memory is real - it is the
direct result of having only 32 bits in the address path. There are
available "big memeory" kernels. My experience with several ranged from
poor to dismal, ymmv. If you use an Opteron or 64bit Xeon based
motherboard, you'll be able to put much more memory in use - the
limitation will be the motherboard. I hear good things about Opteron
boards. I have been using 64 bit systems for many years  running HP-UX and
I can tell you that having tons of memory is not only fun, but it is also
addictive ;-)
	I am running 35 clients on a 32 bit dual Xeon 2.4GHz with 4GB
memory and a decent scsi array. The response time is very good with
typical load of gnome desktop, nautilus, oo, gnome terminal, mozilla and a
few instances of evolution. this system is also used as backup file
server. the memory is pretty much maxed out, but the swap is very lightly
used.
	good luck, julius