[K12OSN] K12LTSP Server RAM question

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Mar 25 00:36:51 UTC 2004

There are two solutions I can think of.

1.)  Install SuSE Linux Enterprise Server for AMD64 and install LTSP on
top of that.
2.)  Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS for AMD64 and install the
K12LTSP RPMs for White Box on top of of that.

I don't yet have a dual Opteron box (will be some time before I can
afford one!), and therefore I haven't yet been able to test this.
However, remember that the Opteron executes 32-bit code just fine, even
when running in 64-bit mode.  Thus, even though the K12LTSP apps are
32-bit, the kernel would be 64-bit and thus able to address all that
memory above 4GB with aplomb.  Each individual 32-bit app will only be
able to see 4GB, but if you really, really need OpenOffice.org to suck
up 4GB by itself, then I'd like to come to work for you!  :-)

--TP