[K12OSN] K12LTSP Server RAM question

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Mar 25 01:26:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Henry Hartley wrote:

>Are there ISOs for the Opteron or would one need to compile from
>source?  While I'm sure I *could* compile a system, I'd much
>rather not have to.  The dual Opteron mother boards are very
>attractive and not priced much differently than dual Xeon boards
>but if the install is significantly more difficult, that may tip
>the scales the other way for me.

Well one of my districts just bought a dual Opteron box. Since I'll
have to support the damn thing <grin>, I'll try to make it easy to
reproduce.

My current plan is to do a setup like I've done with RHEL, an
updates floppy & a yum/apt repository that makes it fairly simple
to do a K12LTSP install using the stock FC1 x86_64 isos.

>On a related topic, does anyone know if the reports of problems
>with FC1 and the SMP kernel fixed with the 2.6.x kernel series?
>If so, I may just wait for FC2 based K12LTSP.

I doubt the same issue would exist in FC2, although other issues
may exist. FC1 uses a 2.4 kernel, FC2 will use a 2.6 kernel

I've been running the FC2 development packages on my laptop for
quite a while now. I just switched my desktop over this weekend.
With the exception of a couple upgrade gotchas, all is working
quite well.

-Eric