[K12OSN] G3's up and running!

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Mar 25 01:40:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>The only thing I have sound working on is the Term150 diskless
>workstation.  I haven't even had the time to try on anything else.  To
>me sound isn't very important, but teachers want it available for the
>younger crowd to keep them interested (The sound just drives me insane
>in a lab).  If you hear of a way to get sound please let me know.  But
>thanks for the work on the inittab mods for the -query option.

Here's a theory on how to get sound to work in the environment, completely
untested ;-)

First, you'll want to try esd rather than nasd. Nasd is a pain to
compile and the default K12LTSP one won't work on PPC. Esd will be
included in YDL, so that is a better bet.

Make sure sound is working before making the "-query" change to inittab.

Once sound is working as a "fat" client, in addition to making the "-query"
change, also add this line to /etc/inittab

	esd:5:respawn:/bin/esd -nobeeps -tcp -port 16001

I can't remember off-hand (and can't test at the moment) if esd
automatically runs as a daemon or not. The man page implies that
it does not. But if it does, the above line will have to be changed
to:

	esd:5:once:/bin/esd -nobeeps -tcp -port 16001

Now you can set your K12LTSP server to use esd, in lts.conf set:

	SOUND_DAEMON     = "esd"

If my theory is correct, sound should now work with the mac in
"thin" mode.

-Eric