[K12OSN] G3's up and running!

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Mar 25 17:29:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>Eric, do I have to install esd on the server first or is it already
>there?

You should not need to install esd on the server. You can verify
that you have it installed with:

	rpm -q esound

>I am running 3.1.2 on the test box.  Also the default lts.conf
>was set to
>SOUND_DAEMON      = nasd
>Without the quotes.  Does 3.1.2 need the quotes once I change the line
>to = esd ?

It is a good habit to put it in quotes, but not strictly needed for
a single parameter. (something like VARIABLE = "param1 param2" must
be quoted)

With K12LTSP 3.1.2, the SOUND_DAEMON variable must be global. Your
x86 clients should work again if you reboot them.

K12LTSP 4.0 added support for having SOUND_DAEMON on a per-client
basis.

>Also, my local YDL on the macs does already have sound, but should I run
>some sort of test to be sure it is running esd?

I believe you can still hit "Ctrl-Alt-F1" to get to a command line
login prompt. If you can, login and run:

	ps auxw | grep esd

you should see somthing like:  (made up, it won't look exactly the same)

	root    883  0.0  0.0  4796  516 pts/4    R    09:27   0:00 /bin/esd -nobeeps -tcp -port 16001

>I already tried to add the new line in the inittab and changed the
>lts.conf line on the server.  Didn't work yet, hence the prior
>questions.  I did however manage to kill sound for my PC terminals.  I
>changed back to nasd on the lts.conf and my PC terminal sound came back.
>My current test PC terminals I am checking are the Term150's.
>
>Thanks

Worse case, set SOUND_DAEMON back to nasd and reboot the Term150's....

-Eric