[K12OSN] Free computers for kids

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Sat Mar 27 15:34:58 UTC 2004

Check this out:
School-Library.net's Free 2 Learn Project
Free computers for students
http://free2learn.school-library.net

Im looking into the steps to initiate a non-profit now.
I also need to nail down the details for giving away the computers once
they're built.  For my students I am going to have an essay contest,
since I am only offering the first two machines at my present school,
but I wonder if I should not develop a different criteria as this
venture expands.  Then again, having students write an essay about OSS
will encourage them to learn about it, which is good.  Does that makes
this seem as much a mercenary OSS advocacy program as a charitable venture?

I have one machine here, a pentium1, 100mhz, that I'm having trouble
with.  I used Rule/slinky to load RH8.0, but it won't run X.  It seems
to be missing libX11.so.6 and possibly some other things.  I tried to
find that on the CD and load it up, but I'm having difficulty with that.
(mounted the cdrom and cded to it, but couldn't find stuff...weird).
It won't run redhat-config-xfree86.
I think, possibly, the hdd is too small and installation simply stopped
when it ran out of room, failing to install necessary libs, or
something.  I don't really know, though.  I figured rule would pare
things down enough to fit on the hdd.  I haven't even checked the size
of it.  I've downloaded Vector linux to give that a try.  No other
distro seems to load, except Corel Linux, but then it has display issues.
I suppose this is all rather off-topic, but I thought you guys might be
interested, in that this is, at least, about promoting OSS/Linux for
students.

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net