[K12OSN] Client RAM question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Mar 27 19:11:41 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 12:40, Eric Harrison wrote:

> Right now I have a bunch of apps open (nautilus, mozilla, openoffice,
> xmms, etc) and xrestop reports that the X server is using 25M of ram.
> Almost all of it is pixmaps.

Do you know if mosix provides any way to control whose programs
run on which machine?  If you shut a machine down gracefully,
the processes are supposed to migrate but if you accidentally
bump the power button they are going to crash so it seems
dangerous to use machines in a lab setting.  However, if you
could control it so processes could only migrate to machines
you designate as servers or back to the user's own desktop
machine you could take advantage of more powerful desktop
machines transparently and if someone pulls a power cord
it would only affect their own programs which terminate
anyway with the X session gone.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com