[K12OSN] NFS/XFree86

jam at mcquil.com jam at mcquil.com
Sun Mar 28 18:44:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 corywynn at comcast.net wrote:

> Thanks Victor for your help in binding my dhcpd to the correct device.
> I am actually able now to "see" the client bootup.  Unfortunately I am
> now witnessing an error during that process that tells me that a
> couple of things have happened or aren't happening correctly:

> 1. nfs: server 192.168.0.254 not responding
>    nfs: server 192.168.0.254 ok

Probably a network configuration problem.  Check your cabling,
switch/hub etc.

> 2. XDMCP: INET6 UDP socket creation failed

I think this is just a warning from the Xserver telling you it
can't use ipv6, which you probably don't want anyway.

> This results in a blank screen.  However once I hear the login beep, I
> logged in under a created user and was able to successfully login at
> the server.  I have a GEFORCE2 MX/MX 400 VIDEO CARD.  I have of course
> done the obvious of checking to make sure mountd and nfsd were
> running, which they are.  Also, my monitor on the client pc is a
> Packard Bell 1020 50/60MHz.  Any additional tips would be greatly
> appreciated.

Your video card is probably overdriving your monitor, which explains
why you can't see anything.

take a look at:

   http://www.ltsp.org/contrib/modelines.html

for more info on specifying modelines for your monitor.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org