[K12OSN] Free computers for kids

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Mon Mar 29 04:16:42 UTC 2004

Tom Brown wrote:
> I strongly encourage you to check out Vector Linux 3.2. It works very
> well on low resource boxes and has well chosen apps and desktop
> managers. For 400+ MHz boxes Vector SOHO is good. VL 4.0 and SOHO want
> more RAM and HD than VL 3.2. Terrell's RAM suggestion for OO.org is on
> the money.
>
> Tom

I loaded Vector Linux 1.8 on this old Pentium 1 - 100mhz with only 16mb
ram.  VL2 and higher wants more cpu and more ram.
I tried Deli Linux, but that requires more cpu, apparently.
It's running with VL1.8, now.  Let me tell you, if you thought OOo was
slow on your machine?!  You can take a shower while it loads on this
thing.  It only came with NEdit for word processing, though.
I think it needs Abiword.  Abi should be quicker...

Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net
Freedom to Learn!