[K12OSN] Help changing file....programming challenge

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Mar 29 15:22:03 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I could use a little help.  I've found the passgen file located at
http://www.lfsp.org  More specifically the file can be downloaded here
http://www.lfsp.org/passgen.gz   It's a simple file that for the most part
replaces "createusers".  It's really slick as it generates usernames and
passwords from a text file and finds and alters duplicates.  My problem is
that it does not go with my naming scheme.  I use the typical firstinitial
lastname scheme.  I know virtually nothing about scripting and hence I don
not understand a lot of what is in this script.  I'm trying to change it
so it will always start with at least the firstintial Lastname and if a
duplicate is found go to the next letter of the
firstname......example....if I had David Trask and Donald Trask.....the
first would be dtrask and the second would be dotrask and so forth.  Can
anyone help with this challenge?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School