[K12OSN] openMosix test packages

Dennis Daniels ddaniels at magic.fr
Tue Mar 30 04:30:16 UTC 2004

We're anxious to try the openmosix package :) Hopefully we'll  give it a
go this week on a test bank of servers and clients.

On a related note; we've found a work around for 15" monitors. It
doesn't require a lot of mucking around with scan rates either :) How?
We do a full install off the network onto the harddrive!

connect to network
load the install rom 1 for k12
on boot
linux askmethod
NFS image
IP address
/location_install
Then walk through installation questions.
On a 10/100 network the install takes about 45 minutes. We had some real
low-level skilled students setting up fat-clients all morning.

The drivers for the monitors and the nic/sound/video cards are loaded
and the screens work! Even with Fedora Core 1! (Last time we loaded FC1
half our monitors stopped working.) Those old monitors have a new life!

We're setting up the runlevel to 3 and logon 'Student' no password and
the bash profile runs X -query and boom! The old 15" monitor is working
and the machine is running as a client!

But what's really cool is that it could be running as a server too. The
clients have hard-drives! We need to turn off DHCP off all of the
secondary servers and set up one machine as the /home... but in theory
all of our fat clients could be running as clients and serving LTSP at
the same time, right?!

The logins go straight to LTSP clients... my students only see the
machines as a client but they could all be running openmosix in the
background basically providing roughly 5-6 gigs of RAM and the
equivalent in CPU cycles. We've got bags of RAM we'd ripped out of the
'clients' soon-to-be servers (?) that we could put back in and really up
the clustered RAM access.

All of our machines are donations, including the server. We're on a real
shoestring = NO money at all. So anything to pool the energies of the
available hardware is of major importance to us. Has anyone else played
with the openmosix/ ltsp packages? Would you care to share your
experiences and your hardware/ network environment?

Best regards
Dennis

Eric Harrison wrote:
> This is just a "rough draft", not even alpha-quality...
>
> ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/openmosix-ltsp/
>

> Read the README to install/configure.
>
> -Eric

visit my site
http://www.dennisgdaniels.com/tiki-index.php