[k12OSN] LCD monitor question

luis.montes at cox.net luis.montes at cox.net
Tue Mar 30 21:24:56 UTC 2004

My son's school just recently raised some more cash for the technology department.
One of the goals of the department is to add more workstations to the lab.
Its an older school and the lab is about tapped as far as power consumption goes.

One idea i had is to use some of the money on flat screen panels to reduce the power/space/heat that the 17" CRTs are creating.
14" LCDs at 800*600 would be fine if I could find them cheap enough.
However, I'm a little concerned with the younger students pressing on the screens with their fingers.
Anyone have any experience with using the glare filters in front of them for protection? Are they even necessary?

I'm hoping that LCDs in conjuction with some of the disklessworkstaion.com thin clients would make a huge difference in the amount of power that the lab is using.

Any thoughts?

Luis