[K12OSN] Remote Administration

Tom Haynes haynest at mchsi.com
Wed Mar 31 00:20:25 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
Brian Chase wrote....

>Or, in my humble opinion, you should be able to do everything with Webmin
>(http://www.webmin.com) and SSH that needs to be done locally.  Webmin
>works over SSL encryted web pages, so between that and SSH, you're secure
>and can do darn near anything you might need to do.

On a technicality, when I have set up webmin in the past, it is set up to
run over http by default.

The last time I did it, I had to install a couple of packages:
openssl-devel, Net::SSLeay, and dependencies before it would work over SSL.
On WBEL at least, the CPAN install boesn't work, and I had to run the perl
make file and install it that way.

I agree that you can do most everything you could want to do via webmin, and
I don't run X on my servers.  Between WinSCP, Webmin, and PuTTY, they seem
to work pretty well. I am not running LTSP, but in terms of administration
for the generic linux box, webmin is really good.

Regards...   Tom