[K12OSN] Remote Administration

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 31 00:25:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 18:20, Tom Haynes wrote:

> I agree that you can do most everything you could want to do via webmin, and
> I don't run X on my servers.  Between WinSCP, Webmin, and PuTTY, they seem
> to work pretty well. I am not running LTSP, but in terms of administration
> for the generic linux box, webmin is really good.

Note that you don't need to run X on the server to use an X program
from elsewhere.  If, for example, you wanted to run
redhat-configure-network remotely you could check the box on putty
to enable X tunneling before connecting, fire up cygwin X in
-multiwindow mode and after logging in to the server type in
"redhat-configure-network &" and (eventually) it will pop a window
open on your desktop.  Likewise for nedit if you have a fast
connection and haven't learned vi yet.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com