[K12OSN] Sorry - question about squares instead of text again.

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Wed Mar 31 15:27:00 UTC 2004

joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca wrote:

>Good-day.
>
>My apologies for re-asking this question, but I'm quite lost and I can't
>get into irc to ask!
>
>I was using synaptic to update the alsa rpms in an attempt to get sound
>working on the clients.  While that didn't work at all (alsa is no longer
>listable as a package when I search for it in Synaptic) the major problem
>is that now Mozilla and xchat both display boxes and punctuation instead
>of letters!  I cannot think of anything else I did that may have caused
>that to occur.  The only way I can get the correct letters to display is
>if I log in as root.
>
>I have tried to fix it by making sure to select the correct language from
>the Language menu at the login screen, but to no avail.
>
>Has anyone run into this problem before? Or could direct me to do
>something to see how I can narrow down the cause for this problem?

hey joseph

I have the same problem too. I think it is a quite common problem and I
think it is fedora/redhat specific. Maybe you have a better chance of
getting an answer on the fedora-list at redhat.com. But watchout for you
inbox - the list is 'high-traffic'. I have 2226 emails from that list
waiting to be read (probably deleted actually!)

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!