[K12OSN] ummmm...RHPWS?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Mar 1 09:00:02 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-admin at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-admin at redhat.com] On Behalf
Of Steve Wright
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 4:02 PM
To: k12osn at redhat.com
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] ummmm...RHPWS?

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 04:10, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Wow!  I never thought I would see Linux prices reach that of
> Microsoft...at least not this soon.  I wonder if this has to do with
> all of the hype with IBM.  I can't imagine there is any Linux option
> out there that is polished enough for a standard end user to justify
> that price.

wha????  You surprise me Jim..  Linux is very very good these days.  I
don't get people (not you) offering Linux for free as if it's some low
quality 2nd-runner..  grr..

I use Linux because I *like* it.  A building full of Linux is a techo's
dreeeeeem..  it's real networking, and everything just flows and works.
Just ssh, pre-shared keys and X..  well, nuff sed.

/steve
-------------------------

No offense to Linux, I do think it is awesome, especially from where it
was a few years ago.  But I still don't think I could throw it in front
of my Mom for a everyday home computer and not get some calls the first
time she tries to install an application (missing dependancies, how to
add shorcuts, etc.).  That is the "polish" to which I refer.  Microsoft
has made it very easy for stupid people to own a computer (of course
maybe we would all be better off if they didn't), it still would be
tough for those people to switch.  A couple examples are setting up dual
monitors or loading a DVD player, I will bet that with both of those
tasks you will have the better part of an afternoon shot with Linux, MS
about 20 minutes (A beginner, not savvy Linux user).

Of course, I don't believe I have ever paid for a MS product myself
either, so I guess I can't justify that much money on either side :-)

---