[K12OSN] ummmm...RHPWS?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Mar 1 11:40:01 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-admin at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-admin at redhat.com] On Behalf
Of Les Mikesell
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 10:18 AM
To: k12osn at redhat.com
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] ummmm...RHPWS?

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 08:02, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> No offense to Linux, I do think it is awesome, especially from where
> it was a few years ago.  But I still don't think I could throw it in
> front of my Mom for a everyday home computer and not get some calls
> the first time she tries to install an application (missing
> dependancies, how to add shorcuts, etc.).

Is your Mom available for help with windows problems?  I need to
reinstall a box that originally came with 21 CDs and I've added several
new devices and programs so I know it is going to involve inserting 30
cd's in exactly the right order, looking up about 10 installation key
codes, and rebooting at least 50 times.

> That is the "polish" to which I refer.  Microsoft
> has made it very easy for stupid people to own a computer (of course
> maybe we would all be better off if they didn't), it still would be
> tough for those people to switch.

They made it easy by forcing the PC vendors to pre-install so the end
users aren't exposed to the horrors.

>   A couple examples are setting up dual
> monitors or loading a DVD player, I will bet that with both of those
> tasks you will have the better part of an afternoon shot with Linux,
> MS about 20 minutes (A beginner, not savvy Linux user).

That depends on how long it takes you to find the checkbox that says you
want dual monitors in the fedora X setup.  With DVD's a better
comparison would be when you add the second one or trade brands when the
crippled software that comes with it only supports the brand it is
supplied with as a ploy to force you to buy the full version.

'yum install ...' seems pretty nice by comparison.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com

I appreciate your argument and again, I love Linux. But the Fedora dual
monitor checkbox doesn't work very well, and I was lucky enough to run
yum install to load a DVD player and found that it hung all the time,
then had to go down the road of trying to rebuild a bad database.  There
are still issues.  Microsoft isn't perfect, I hate their practices, I am
working toward switching everything I run into to Linux, but useability
for dummies has a way to go.  I can see we don't agree here so lets just
leave our opinions at that.

Again I love Linux and appreciate all the help I have been getting from
this list and am doing my best to learn how to switch MS users to the
Linux world.  From what I have seen most of the issues I run into will
be resolved by this time next year and I will no longer have an argument
(nor will anyone else).

---