[K12OSN] ummmm...RHPWS?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 1 13:42:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 12:00, Jim Hays wrote:
> Please play nice.  If you feel that you must engage in a Linux/MS
> debate, find another forum.  The people here are trying to get K12LTSP
> to work and use this forum for that purpose.  Since most of us here are
> educators who are trying to incorporate K12LTSP into schools - where
> Windows and Macs live - the subject of moving from Windows to Linux will
> come up often.  What we don't need when that issue comes up is someone
> making comments about how bad Windows is or how easy Linux is to use.

Sorry, didn't intend to start a war but I don't think you can avoid
having that issue come up.  It nearly always is raised by someone who
bought one or more pre-installed Windows boxes where some expert has
chosen the set of hardware and programs that work together.  Then they
compare that to starting with no experience to assemble a working
Linux system from some random assortment of parts or an existing machine
purchased without Linux in mind, then throwing a few thousand free
programs on it.  I know I don't have to convince anyone here, but you
have to offset that view with the opposite experience: the dll hell of
trying to load windows programs that don't play together compared to
canned Linux installations that include exactly what you want.

> Many of us are working in an environment where Windows not only exists,
> but will exist for years to come.  It will not "go away".

Agreed, but 'ease of installing' shouldn't be the issue that
makes it stay.

> Name calling and sarcasm will not accomplish anything.

No, but years of experience should be worth something.  For every
Linux install problem, I can come up with matching or worse problems
I've had with Windows - but I'll try to refrain from providing the
details here.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com