[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN] users breaking?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Mon Mar 1 16:53:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 13:45, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> This may not do it, but try just rm -rf the .gconf* hidden dirs in the
> user's home.
>
> This will fix any gnome based apps from not starting.

I will try this.

<snip>

> What apps are not working?

I haven't had a chance to go over and test it thoroughly for myself, but
at least OOo and mozilla fail to load according to the reports I get. I
have noticed that in those cases I have found some rogue OOo processes
lying around long after the user has tried to log out and re-booted the
client. I seem to remember this being talked about on the list in the
past, "reaping" dead processes occasionally, but I don't remember the
details. However, even after cleaning out those processes, the problem
seems to remain. That part that is really stumping me is their not being
able to logout, and apparently this happens immediately when they login.
I have another one acting up right now, so I am heading over to see it
first-hand shortly.
--
   -Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-

Academic Computing and Networking Services Coordinator
Fern Ridge School District 28J
Elmira, OR
Office: 541-935-2253 x429
Cell: 541-914-2989