[K12OSN] importing and exporting student lists

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 3 00:52:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 22:48, Steve Wright wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 16:44, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > Awesome, I will be getting there this summer.  However I will of course
> > need to use existing passwords as not to confuse the general population.
> > Would it be safe to assume that I could pull your generated users.txt
> > into an existing database as a delimited file to match up with existing
> > users and passwords?
>
>  Not unless you want to enter it all by hand..  The problem is, that the
> passwords are already encrypted, so you cannot reuse them.
>
>  As far as the system is concerned, once you have encrypted the password
> then the plain-text version of it is lost forever.  I would not be one
> to hack /etc/shadow directly, ooo no.. not me..

Most linux systems would read each other's passwd/shadow files
directly.  There might be a few differences in the users below
uid 500 but those could be fixed by hand.  It might be easier
to script the home directory creation and use exact copies of
the password/shadow files on all machines.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com