[K12OSN] Retrieve DVD Player via Yum

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Wed Mar 3 10:20:01 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 23:10, Les Bell wrote:
>

>>I've been having quite good results with Ogle; I didn't do anything special
>>about DeCSS, so it must have been one of the standard packages I grabbed to
>>install it. See http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/ (Oh, yeah - I see
>>the reference to libdvdcss on the Ogle site. No problem installing it,
>>though).
>>

> The videolan client/server might be a nice fit for k12ltsp.  You
> would want the client running as a local app on the terminal
> and the multicast mode of the server if you wanted to drive
> more than a few screens.   The client as a local app would
> be able to play DVD/VCD/SVCD format on the desktop too.
>
> ---
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

OK, let me chime in on this one.  About a year ago I "tried" to get
Ogle to work on the server but didn't have success.  Now I realize it
was probably the DeCSS library... BUT, on to my question...

How can I make it so that the teacher can use the DVD drive on the
server to show movies to her class?  She will have access to an LCD
projector, so I'll just attach the projector to the server and display
it from there.

Richard K. Ingalls
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District