[K12OSN] Retrieve DVD Player via Yum

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Mar 3 13:13:26 UTC 2004

I thought I would quick give you guys an idea of what I was thinking
with the DVD distribution from the server.  Right now our campus has a
Dynacom/Safari Video Distribution system running from a head end with
fiber to all classrooms.  Our workstations in the classroom have
projectors hooked up with a program on each machine called Mac/Win
Remote.  The head end has 6 DVD players and 30 VCR's along with some 12
cable tuners a couple digital radio recievers and so on.  The teachers
are able to select any input from the head end display it remotely on
their projectors in the classroom or just simply listen to the radio
feeds.  Movies are dropped off in a box in the morning and I program
them up for access for whatever duration they want.  This is a pretty
cool way to share a few resources from a central location to our
buildings around campus and on the other end of town.  Downside is the
system was installed with a Grant for about $500,000 in 1996 and is
starting to fail without money to fix it.

I thought this idea was a good start to figuring out how Linux could be
used to provide a lower dollar solution to K12 or even Colleges.  I am
not really thinking of using this locally in the same lab but more for a
campus wide distribution (otherwise a local projector would be far
better than sending to clients).  I don't know if you could build a box
with multiple source inputs and let users select from them through a
terminal and display them remotely or not with some sort of gui with
dropdowns.  It just got the wheels turning.  Someone with far more
knowledge than myself could probably make pretty good money if they
could package such a system.

Just figured I should fill you in on my madness :-)