[K12OSN] Re: Re: Auto-Login Doesn't Work

k12ltsp k12ltsp at hermon.net
Wed Mar 3 15:52:01 UTC 2004

k12osn at redhat.com writes:
>Are you using GDM on the server now for all the terminals?  Changing to
>KDM is a global change (using step above)....I prefer KDM, but am forced
>to use GDM due to a video issue on some older video cards....hope to
>replace them in a bit and solve that issue....how's things in Hermon?  I'm
>in Vassalboro......Maine.....

Hi! Thanks for the help! I have some success now. However, for some
reason, when I add the autologin entry for each terminal in the kdmrc
file, it doesn't always work. I can 't find a pattern to find out why.
Sometimes, when I boot Terminal A, it will log into the account
automatically, later on.. Terminal A won't login automatically, but
Terminal B will...

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Anyhow, as an alternative, I added a few extra entries to the kdmrc file:

[X-ws232:0-Core]
AutoLoginEnable=true
AutoLoginUser=room8b
NoPassEnable=true
NoPassUsers=room8b

[X-ws232:0-Greeter]
PreselectUser=Default
DefaultUser=room8b

I added the commands as displayed above. This setup will make the greeter
automatically fill in the user account that I specify in the login screen.
It will also not require a password anymore for the user account. This
way, for the kindergarten students, they don't have to type in the login
and password!

The entries above at least make it possible to log in easier for the
students if at the time, the terminal doesn't log in automatically (as it
is supposed to).

Thank for your help so far! I wouldn't have gotten this far without it!