[K12OSN] Samba Migration

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 3 22:21:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 21:03, Caleb Wagnon wrote:
> Les Mikesell said:
> > rsync -essh -av . newbox:/home
> >  (be sure there isn't anything already in the new /home that you
> > will overwrite).
>
> Thanks Les. Will this preserve the permissions as well?

Yes, the -a flag to rsync preserves all the attributes
it can and makes it recurse through directories.  I tend
to use it for all remote copies even when scp might work.
It is also good for a quick cut-over to a different machine
because you can do one run ahead of time, them do it again
at the last minute to pick up any changes and the 2nd pass
will be very fast.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com